Import a model from Google Poly

Amazon Sumerian

Jan 1, 2019
This tutorial was created by Kirby and the original post is here https://medium.com/@kirbyshabaga/amazon-sumerian-import-a-model-from-google-poly-890d273a146b
It's a very useful tutorial and I've posted it in this thread for reference.

Presently, there are not a lot of assets available for direct import. Filtering by Entities, three hosts (Cristine, Luke and Preston) each with four different outfits are available. There are some background sound files, a skybox, and a collection of furniture models. In addition, there is the most important pack:, CoreVR, to enable support for Virtual Reality headsets and controllers.

Import Assets — filtered by Entities
If you aren’t a modeler and don’t have access to one on your team, you’ll quickly want to import ready-built models from other repositories, like TurboSquid or Google Poly.
Building upon my YouTube API experiment, I wanted to make my scene a little more realistic and inviting. After trying a few models from TurboSquid, and running into issues with the models not behaving nicely — missing materials and/or just not rendering properly, I searched on Poly and found a perfect Living Room model by Alex “SAFFY” Safayan.
Living Room
Browse, discover, and download 3D objects and scenes. Poly lets you quickly find 3D objects and scenes for use in your…poly.google.com

Step 0 — Create a new scene from the Default Lighting template
If you already have a lit scene, skip this step.
Lighting your scene is vital and using the Default Lighting template is a great starting point.
Step 1 — Download the Living Room model from Poly
Drag the zip file onto the Assets panel in the Sumerian Editor.

Assets Panel — We have an Entity, Materials and Meshes
Step 2 — Add Living Room to the scene
Drag the Living Room entity from the Assets panel onto your scene (or Entities panel)
It’s a little small, so press F to zoom in on the Living Room entity.
Why is the model appearing white? and why was it so small?
NOTE: If the model you imported appears correctly textured then you are done. If it appears white, then read on ;-)

Living Room model added to the scene
Step 3 — Materials, what’s up?
The Living Room entity is a hierarchy of smaller entities: TV, Table, Speaker, etc. Let’s focus on the Speaker. On the Poly website, the speakers are black, but, on our scene they are white — everything is white!
For the Speaker, there are three Materials: Speaker, Speaker_Center, Speaker_Puff.
Select the Speaker Material from the Assets panel and expand the AMBIENT component. If you uncheck Color, the Speaker now takes on the Color setting from COLOR (DIFFUSE) which is black. If you reset the AMBIENT COLOR (by clicking the x to the right of the color picker, you’ll also see that the Speaker matches the preview from Poly.

Materials Inspector — Speaker Ambient (white)
Step 4 — Update the .mtl file
Rather than manually select each Material and reset the color to black, let’s do that by running a find and replace in the .mtl file prior to importing.
Remove the LivingRoom entity from your scene and then remove it from the Assets panel.
Unzip the LivingRoom file downloaded from Poly and open the .mtl file in your favorite editor. Find the Ka 1.0 entries and replace them with Ka 0.0 — this will set the ambient color to black.
Ka 1.000000 1.000000 1.000000 --> Ka 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000

LivingRoom.mtl — find and replace Ka
Save the file.
Reference: MTL material format (Lightwave, OBJ)
To specify the ambient reflectivity of the current material, you can
use the "Ka" statement, the "Ka spectral" statement, or the "Ka xyz"
statement.
Step 5 — reassemble the zip file and import it again
When I try to add the reassembled zip file to Assets, I receive an error: “No scene file supplied”.
I don’t know why that happens, but, the workaround is to select both the .mtl and .obj files and drop them onto Assets.
Step 6 — Scale and enjoy
Select the LivingRoom_root entity, check Uniform Scale and set scale from 0.01 to 1.

TIP: Always have a unit cube or a Host somewhere in your scene when you start, that way you can adjust scaling to match reality. This is especially important for VR.
The End
NOTES
  • I changed the Material Color White.001 from white to gray so that the Teleport Target would be visible when in VR.
  • The scale seems a little large when in VR, however, I believe that is the way it was created.